Reading at Home
Reading with Your Child
- Make reading a time of pleasure for you both
- Start sharing books even before your child knows which way to hold a book
- Let them re read their favourite books and stories
- Praise your child’s efforts
- Read books your child loves and don’t set up reading as a test
- Focus on the things which are right, not on the mistakes
- Keep reading to older children, even after they’ve learned to read independently, this supports them to develop deeper comprehension and expression
- Stop when they have had enough – reading is not a punishment
- Read yourself to show your child that you also value reading
- Visit the local library
- Find out how phonics helps children get underway with reading with these videos from ReadWriteInc.
A useful website to use is the Oxford Owl where you can download over 250 FREE ebooks to enjoy with your child.